Domestic Violence can occur through the monitoring of mobile phones and internet usage. Below are some simple tips you can use to keep yourself safe while using the internet or your mobile phone.
- Do not post content that may disclose your location.
- Change passwords to your accounts regularly and refrain from using easily guessed combinations such as children or pet names.
- Unfriend or block people when you receive unwanted contact.
- Delete any applications that you have not downloaded yourself.
- Think before you post anything on the internet as even if you delete it, it can be recovered.
- Do not ‘check in’ on Facebook or other social media apps.
- Turn your location settings off on your phone and in apps.
- Turn off ‘Find my phone’.
- Turn off your snapmaps location setting when using Snapchat.
- Have a discussion with your children about their internet safety.
- Have a code, pattern or fingerprint to lock your phone.
- Keep your accounts on a private setting so content can only be viewed by people you accept requests from.
How to block on Facebook (via the website):
- Go to settings -> Click settings and privacy -> Click settings -> Scroll down and click ‘audience and visibility’ -> Click ‘block’ -> Click add to block list and enter the name of the person -> Click ‘block’ again to submit.
How to block on Instagram:
- Go to their profile page -> Click the three dots located at the top right corner -> Select ‘Block’.
How to block on TikTok:
- Go to the user profile -> Click on the three dots located at the top right corner -> Tap ‘Block’ and follow the steps given.
How to block a contact/number on an iPhone?
- Tap next to the number or contact you wish to block -> Scroll down and select ‘Block this Caller’.
How to block a contact/number on an Android phone:
- Go to your phone app -> Tap the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner of the screen -> Select ‘Block numbers’.
How to turn off your location settings on your iPhone:
- Go to settings -> Select ‘privacy’ -> Select ‘location services’ and select certain apps to turn off your precise location.
How to turn off your location settings on your Android phone:
- Go to settings -> Select personal -> Select location access and turn off.
For more information about how to protect you and your whānau online, please visit https://www.netsafe.org.nz/.